How to Download and Import Bank Transactions into Checkbook Register
Applies to Excel templates: "Georges Budget for Excel", "Georges Excel Checkbook Register", "Georges Excel Checkbook for Mac"
(back to All Support Topics)
Why download and import bank transactions?
Many banks allow you to download checking account transactions from their online banking website. The bank transactions can be downloaded into different formats including .csv (comma separated values) file format which can be opened in Microsoft Excel, imported or copied into an Excel checkbook register spreadsheet or another personal finance software program, thus allowing you to keep track of your checkbook, reconcile your bank account, create a budget, categorize transactions and run budget reports to see how you are spending your money. Downloading and importing transactions can save you time so you do not have to manually enter each bank transaction in a checkbook register.
Help Topic: Importing Transactions into Registers from Online Banking or another financial institution
- Importing transactions into the Registers is done manually. Note: It is best to enter transactions in the Registers as they happen so that the Registers, reports and charts will have the most current data.
- Follow these general guidelines to import transactions from online banking or another financial institution into a Register.
- Download the needed transactions from the online website into a format that can be opened by Excel such as comma separated values (csv).
- Open the downloaded transaction file in Excel and format the downloaded transactions to be in the same column order / data types as the Register. Delete any unnecessary data. You need to verify that there are no duplicated transactions, that are already in the Registers. Also, for the transactions amounts, the checkbook registers amounts are in one column only, so if your online bank download of your checking account transactions uses two columns for amounts, you have to merge those amounts into a single column. Also for transactions amounts, you need to make sure they are in correct format (positive and negative) when entered into the checkbook registers.
- Make sure that the file of the downloaded transactions and Georges Budget for Excel or Georges Excel Checkbook Register or Georges Excel Checkbook for Mac are opened in the same instance / session of Excel.
- Make sure there are no error(s) in the Register as noted in the Balance Column and Cell L2 of the Register.
- Copy the data to the Register. (When copying data, you must use Copy and then Paste Special and then Values. See Important Help Topic: How to copy data in Excel registers.) Copy the data to the first available row (starting from the top of the Register) that has no data in it and no data below it.
- Once the transactions are in the Register, add categories and any other data that is needed.
- While there is no syncing or automated download and import of financial transactions, with the help of Microsoft Excel spreadsheet tools, you can manually download and import your bank transactions and credit card transactions in an Excel check register.
(back to All Support Topics)