Georges Budget for Excel: Version History
Applies to Excel template: "Georges Budget for Excel"
(back to All Support Topics)
What are new versions vs updates of software
Software applications like Microsoft Office, Windows, macOS, personal budgeting apps, and even Excel budget templates like Georges Budget for Excel can change with things such as software improvements, new features, layout enhancements, security enhancements, and if needed software bug fixes.
With software subscription services like Office 365, there are also software updates but these are typically done automatically behind the scenes so a version numbers becomes less important and visible since you do not have to buy the new version but pay a monthly fee which includes the updates.
There are different computer terms to describe these changes, such as new versions, new releases, software upgrades, and software updates.
As it relates to the Excel template, Georges Budget for Excel, the following terms are used:
- New versions (software upgrades): New versions may include new features, software improvements, or software design and layout changes. If you have an older version of Georges Budget for Excel and a newer version of Georges Budget for Excel is released, the new version must be purchased separately if you want the new version.
- Software Updates: Updates will not include new features but only bug fixes (software bug fixes related to errors where the software is not working as intended). Software updates are delivered by way of a download link via email. If you want to be emailed software updates, you need to be on the mailing list so that the updated software can be emailed to you. Updates to the software will take the form of an updated copy of the software delivered digitally.
If you purchase a newer version or receive an updated version of the Georges Budget for Excel and want to transfer your data to the newer version or updated copy from an older version, the data you entered in the older version needs to be copied to the newer version or updated copy of the software as noted in the help section Transfer Data from Prior Version to Latest Version.
Customer feedback is encouraged to help make the Excel budget template better with new improvements with each new version. Georges Budget for Excel is not subscription based software. Each version requires a separate one-time purchase and buying newer versions is optional and is really only needed if you want to take advantage of the new features and improvements of the new version.
Georges Budget for Excel Version History
Georges Budget for Excel v12.0 - released September 2019
- In addition to Microsoft Windows PC computers, the budget spreadsheet is now compatible with Mac Computers. (Mac computer must have Excel for Office 365 for Mac or Excel 2019 for Mac. See product page for full system requirements)
- In the Monthly/Yearly Actual vs Budget worksheets, charts are replaced with in cell Excel data bars.
- In the Accounts Summary, Excel sparklines are used for the last 6 months mini charts of the Expense Categories to Watch section. Excel data bars have replaced some of the charts.
- The Monthly Budget vs Actual and Yearly Budget vs Actual Reporting worksheets allow you to view data from prior years going back 20 years assuming data that far back was entered into the checkbook registers.
Georges Budget for Excel v10.0 - released March 2018
- There are now 10 Excel checkbook registers. So you can keep track of up to 10 different accounts. (prior version has maximum of 7 Excel checkbook registers)
- Each Excel checkbook register now has 4000 rows, so you can enter more transactions (prior version has 1500 rows per Excel checkbook register).
- The Excel checkbook registers now display green, red, and yellow indicator lights directly next to the amounts you enter so you can more easily scan and spot positive amounts (green indicator lights), negative amounts (red indicator lights) and 0 amounts (yellow indicator lights).
Georges Budget for Excel v7.0
- The Reports and Charts section now has a Yearly report in addition to the current Monthly report of the Excel budget template.
- New reconciliation totals to help make account reconciliations easier. Now, each Excel checkbook register has totals at the top of each register for Total Outstanding (dollar amount and # of transactions), Total Cleared, and Register Balance. Also, when you mark a transaction as Cleared/Reconciled with an "R" in the Rec field, an easy to see Green Checkmark will show next to the transaction, and this will adjust those reconciliation totals at the top of the Excel checkbook register.
- The Excel budget template file opens and saves faster due to change in file format. (new Excel file format used is .xlsb versus old format of .xlsm)
Georges Budget for Excel v5.0
- Three additional checkbook registers were added to the Excel budget template for a total of 7 accounts. The prior version had total of 4 checkbook registers.
- The Reports and Charts worksheet was redesigned to show Monthly Actual vs Budget data, Excel charts, and percent of budget amounts.
- The Accounts Summary worksheet now includes a section titled Category Report and Charts to see trends in your financial data.
Georges Budget for Excel v4.0
- The Excel checkbook registers layout and look was changed.
- The Category List & Budget worksheet layout and look was changed.
- The Reports & Charts worksheet layout and look was changed.
- The Help sheet layout and look was changed.
- The 6 Month Mini Charts in the Accounts Summary have been updated to show small gaps between the column charts.
- The Yearly and Monthly Income Statement charts in the Accounts Summary have new colors: the Income amounts will be the green column charts, the Expense amounts will be the red column charts, and the Net amounts will be the blue column charts.
Georges Budget for Excel v3.1
- The Accounts Summary Expense Categories to Watch section now includes mini charts for last last six months of a expense category to see trends in your spending.
- All reports and charts in the Excel budget spreadsheet, no matter what worksheet of the Excel budget template they are in, are now based on all data in all Registers even if Filters are applied in the Registers. In the prior version, data that was Filtered out (hidden) in the Registers was excluded from all reports and charts. The only exception to this is if you filter data directly in a particular register, the subtotal at the button of that register, in cell G4005, is based on just the visible rows and not the hidden rows in that particular register.
Georges Budget for Excel v3.0
- The Accounts Summary of the Excel budget spreadsheet now has the look of an Excel dashboard.
Georges Budget for Excel v2.0
- First release to the public. Excel checkbook software with integrated personal budgeting.
(back to All Support Topics)